Child Relocations

In Washington, a person holding majority residential time with a child or children is required to provide notice of relocation to all parties entitled to court-ordered visitation with the child or children. Regardless of the distance involved in the relocation, parties enjoying court-ordered time with a child or children can file an objection to the move. Further, parties can file a request for a new parenting plan and revised residential schedule.

Parents often incorrectly assume the relocation of a child or children is automatically permitted. However, if an objection to the relocation is properly filed and served, a court will determine whether the move is permissible. A person with court-ordered visitation holds the right to request modification of the parenting plan absent the usual requirement for change of the parenting plan. The proposed relocation itself meets the hurdle of demonstrating adequate cause. If the parties cannot reach a resolution regarding the proposed parenting plan, the court will decide the matter in the best interest of the child or children.

If the court grants relocation, Eagle Law Offices, P.S. is experienced in negotiating equitable visitation for the non relocating parent. Contact Eagle Law Offices, P.S. or call 206-426-6961 regarding your relocation questions and other family law matters.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

*A lawyer may charge a flat fee for specified legal services, which constitutes complete payment for those services and is paid in whole or in part in advance of the lawyer providing the services. If agreed to in advance in a writing signed by the client, a flat fee is the lawyer's property on receipt, in which case the fee shall not be deposited into a trust account under Rule 1.15A. The written fee agreement shall, in a manner that can easily be understood by the client, include the following: (i) the scope of the services to be provided; (ii) the total amount of the fee and the terms of payment; (iii) that the fee is the lawyer's property immediately on receipt and will not be placed into a trust account; (iv) that the fee agreement does not alter the client's right to terminate the client-lawyer relationship; and (v) that the client may be entitled to a refund of a portion of the fee if the agreed-upon legal services have not been completed.