Modification of a court order means to change the court order. A party under court order may request modification regarding custody, visitation and child support by filing a request for modification with the court.

In regard to custody of a child, the court order may be called a Custody Decree, Residential Schedule or Parenting Plan. A Parenting Plan may govern the actions of ex-spouses, ex-boyfriend and girlfriend or a parent and someone else, such as another relative, who provides care for the child or children. A modified Parenting Plan may be substantially different than the current order or the difference may be minimal.

If someone does not currently have custody of a child, he or she can request that the court give him or her custody if it is believed to be in the best interest of the child or children. Concerning visitation, if the other parent or custodian’s time with the child or children is a worry, a request may be filed with the court to modify a visitation schedule. Further, if the parenting plan modification is major, a party may request the court modify the child support order.

What is the difference between a “major” and “minor” modification?

A major modification refers to a court action filed to request the court to make a substantial modification to the current Parenting Plan or child support obligation. Filing a legal action requesting the court change custody is a major modification. A minor modification is a court action filed to request the court make minimal changes to the court order. A request filed with the court to modify dates for holiday visitation is a minor modification.

If someone on either side of a Child Support Order experiences a significant change in income, an action may be filed with the court to modify the child support obligation. If you lost your job, your income decreased significantly or you know your ex-spouse’s income increased to an extent child support would change, Eagle Law Offices, P.S. and our legal staff will assist you. The attorneys at Eagle Law Offices, P.S. will discuss your modification options and effectively represent you in filing a modification action.

To discuss your need for modifications, contact Eagle Law Offices, P.S.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

*A lawyer may charge a flat fee for specified legal services, which constitutes complete payment for those services and is paid in whole or in part in advance of the lawyer providing the services. If agreed to in advance in a writing signed by the client, a flat fee is the lawyer's property on receipt, in which case the fee shall not be deposited into a trust account under Rule 1.15A. The written fee agreement shall, in a manner that can easily be understood by the client, include the following: (i) the scope of the services to be provided; (ii) the total amount of the fee and the terms of payment; (iii) that the fee is the lawyer's property immediately on receipt and will not be placed into a trust account; (iv) that the fee agreement does not alter the client's right to terminate the client-lawyer relationship; and (v) that the client may be entitled to a refund of a portion of the fee if the agreed-upon legal services have not been completed.